So this press is motorized. Allegedly. Meaning, there is a motor attached to it, but I wasn't so sure if it worked or not, or being that it looks like it was put on in 1939 and already has some janky wiring on it I wasn't so sure I should even try to turn it on. My dad, being the handy man that he is came over to help me figure out what I was working with.
Let me preface this by saying that though I "own" a "business" we are in no way up to safety codes, etc. In fact I think OSHA would spit on us, slap us, or hold a prayer vigil in our honor... I'm not sure which.
Dad replaced the on/off switch on the front of the press (which now looks humorously modern and out of place) and we then proceeded to plug the thing in. I wish I had video of this. I simultaneously held a fire extinguisher and a broom incase of fire or electrocution and I needed to knock him loose (safety first).
There was smoke, sparks, a rubber burney smell, and it was running really really fast. We soon realized we were running 220v through a 110v motor. Bad decision. We replaced some wiring and tried again. And Viola! SHE LIVES!
I'll probably still be replacing the motor as the burney smell persists, and I just honestly don't trust it. But she's moving! Huzzah!
Moving does not equal working, mind you. There still is a lot of work, some missing parts, some parts that are supposed to be moving that aren't that I don't even KNOW how to get moving... Still feeling in over my head, but definitely feeling encouraged. The whiz bang of this thing makes my heart pitter patter.